What is Klippel-Trenaunay Syndrome?
Klippel Trenaunay syndrome is a rare and complex combined vascular malformation that is present at birth. By definition, it includes evidence of malformations involving every vascular component except arteries. In addition, overgrowth of the involved extremity is common.
Localized or diffuse capillary malformations (port-wine stains) can overly areas of venous and lymphatic malformations. Overgrowth of the limb will include all tissue types including muscle, bone, joints, and nerves. Internal organs may also be affected.
As with other types of vascular malformation, treatment is typically directed at symptoms that are present:
- Frequent pain
- Limitation of movement or decreased function
Treatment can include:
- Compression garments
Why choose Dr Panossian
- He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Graduated at the top of his class at UCLA, receiving Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude honors.
- Was accepted into an elite combined general surgery and plastic surgery residency at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- Completed subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Harvard Medical School.
- Was mentored by Dr. Ron Zuker in the practice of facial paralysis reconstruction. This prestigious fellowship position was available to only one surgeon in the United States.
- Is affiliated with various charitable and educational organizations, including Operation Smile and Mending Kids.
- Is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the highly selective American Association of Plastic Surgeons, reserved for only a select group of individuals nationally who have demonstrated excellence in academic plastic surgery.
- Holds memberships in several other professional societies including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- He serves on the Board of Directors for Mending Kids and the Gondobay Manga Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives in Sierra Leone.
- Has been nominated by his peers annually since 2012 as a “Super Doctor.”
- Served as an expert medical consultant and appeared on The Doctors, Grey’s Anatomy, and Nip/Tuck.
- Has been featured as “Top Doctor” in US News and World Report, Pasadena Magazine, and Los Angeles Magazine.
Last modified by Dr. Andre Panossian