Dr. Andre Panossian has spent more than a decade studying and researching the complex world of vascular anomalies (or, vascular birthmarks). Trained at Boston Children’s Hospital and the Harvard Vascular Anomalies Clinic, Dr. Panossian came to Los Angeles in 2007 and established the Vascular Anomalies Center at Children’s Hospital Los Angeles. He has performed hundreds of surgeries to reconstruct the problems caused by vascular tumors and malformations.
Dr. Andre Panossian follows a multidisciplinary approach, considered the gold standard for treating these unique conditions. He has authored numerous academic articles in the field and has presented his research in national and international conferences. He is a member of the International Society for the Study of Vascular Anomalies, considered the pre-eminent organization for advancements in vascular anomalies treatment and diagnosis. In addition, his specialty in the complex world of pediatric plastic surgery gives him an edge in addressing vascular anomalies in adults as well. For more information, visit the Vascular Birthmarks section of this website.
Birthmarks can come in various colors, sizes and shapes. Sometimes, they can add an element of allure, and other times, they are downright unsightly. Birthmarks can be divided into dark or pigmented blemishes and vascular lesions.
The classic birthmark (or nevus) is a dark or light brown patch on the skin that may or may not be slightly raised. Sometimes, they grow coarse thick hair. Most of these birthmarks are harmless and do not need to be removed. However, a small portion may represent a malignancy such as melanoma. The treatment for this condition is vastly different and can require more extensive surgery. Often, excision of melanomas may result in large wounds and disfigurement that can require complex reconstruction.
Dr. Panossian offers complete services to address both simple and complex birthmarks as well as malignancies. He is also fully qualified to reconstruct extensive wounds while restoring normal anatomy.
Vascular birthmarks (or, vascular anomalies) can be much more complex. Over 60 percent of these lesions are MISDIAGNOSED, which frequently leads to inappropriate treatment. The various types of vascular birthmarks can present in strange and unusual ways, from small and bright red to dark blue and occupying an entire limb. Fortunately, most vascular birthmarks are benign and inconspicuous. However, some can be extensive and complex, requiring multiple lines of treatment from lasers to surgery. It is important to seek the guidance of a vascular anomalies specialist with extensive experience to properly diagnose and initiate treatment.
Refer to the VASCULAR BIRTHMARKS section of this website for more information on conditions and treatments currently available.
Why choose Dr Panossian
- He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Graduated at the top of his class at UCLA, receiving Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude honors.
- Was accepted into an elite combined general surgery and plastic surgery residency at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- Completed subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Harvard Medical School.
- Was mentored by Dr. Ron Zuker in the practice of facial paralysis reconstruction. This prestigious fellowship position was available to only one surgeon in the United States.
- Is affiliated with various charitable and educational organizations, including Operation Smile and Mending Kids.
- Is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the highly selective American Association of Plastic Surgeons, reserved for only a select group of individuals nationally who have demonstrated excellence in academic plastic surgery.
- Holds memberships in several other professional societies including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- He serves on the Board of Directors for Mending Kids and the Gondobay Manga Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives in Sierra Leone.
- Has been nominated by his peers annually since 2012 as a “Super Doctor.”
- Served as an expert medical consultant and appeared on The Doctors, Grey’s Anatomy, and Nip/Tuck.
- Has been featured as “Top Doctor” in US News and World Report, Pasadena Magazine, and Los Angeles Magazine.
Last modified by Dr. Andre Panossian