What are facial fillers (aka injectables)?
Fillers, or facial injectables, are a general category of injectable medications that are designed to increase volume in specific parts of the face. They are gelatinous inconsistency and (unlike Botox cosmetic) are based on naturally occurring skin proteins such as collagen and cross linked hyaluronic acid. Volume is increased by drawing water into injected areas. The typical problems treated with fillers are vertical lines, deep facial wrinkles, fine lines, and other areas lacking fullness. Some commonly used fillers are the FDA approved Juvederm® (Juvéderm Voluma XC), Restylane®, Belotero®, and Perlane®.
Newer generation of fillers typically last up to 12 months. Radiesse and Sculptra are non-hyaluronic acid fillers and typically last longer than the HA fillers mentioned above. Their indications for use are for deeper wrinkle filling and for general volumizing.
There are other substances that serve as facial injectable. The most popular of these options is using one’s own fat (fat injection or fat grafting). By suctioning fat from the abdominal region and purifying it, fat injection can achieve similar results to other facial injectables. Although fat injection is considered a permanent type of filler, there are advantages and disadvantages is that the effect can be permanent.
When should I use fillers?
Fillers are used when deep wrinkles set in or the effects of aging and gravity have unmasked volume deficiencies in the face. Permanent wrinkles such as those occurring in the forehead, laugh lines, and crow’s feet are common areas. Fillers work even in smaller wrinkles such as those occurring between the eyes or around the lips. Fillers are also helpful for enhancing certain facial features by increasing their volume. These areas can include the lips or cheekbone areas.
Everyone’s genetics are different. Younger patients typically prefer volume enhancement, and older patients may also want to correct deep wrinkles. There is no specific age range to begin treatment. This is a personal choice, but many seek Dr. Panossian’s evaluation and recommendations to guide them in their decision.
One other popular indication for fillers is liquid rhinoplasty. For patients who have small nasal imperfections, fillers can even out problem areas to restore the aesthetics of the nose without the need for surgery. It is an excellent way to maintain a perfect nasal appearance for people who are not ready to undergo a rhinoplasty or revision rhinoplasty. Results last typically one year, the patient must repeat the procedure to maintain the results.
What are some risks of fillers?
Several issues can occur with the injection of facial fillers. These mostly have to do with contour problems. Uneven injection of the material may cause lumpiness in treated areas. Overcorrection is rare but may occur as well. Bruising can occur if blood-thinning agents (eg, aspirin, Motrin, Advil, ibuprofen) have been used within 10-14 days of treatment. Allergic reactions occur very rarely. If you have had an allergic reaction to a specific filler, please bring it to Dr. Panossian’s attention at the time of your consultation.
What is Dr. Panossian’s technique for injection of fillers?
Injection of facial fillers is more art than science. It should not be taken lightly. Board Certified Dr. Panossian does not believe in handing off these procedures to other staff members to perform. He performs all injections with an eye for artistry and a deep knowledge of facial anatomy. This is as vital to the safety and comfort of his patients as well as for the final results.
Dr. Panossian is an advocate of the conservative approach to administering facial injectables. While other physicians in the cosmetic world may elect to use large quantities of these products, Dr. Panossian believes in injecting only as much as necessary for achieving the intended results. This not only limits complications but makes these injectable treatments more affordable for patients. His approach to filler injection involves using a blunt cannula to perform injections which reduces the risk of bruising substantially. The success of fillers rests on the experience and knowledge of the person performing the injections. It is important to vary the depth and direction of injections to avoid over- or undercorrection. Dr. Panossian’s passion and extensive experience in this area stands out. Trust your face only to the best!
Why choose Dr Panossian
- He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Graduated at the top of his class at UCLA, receiving Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude honors.
- Was accepted into an elite combined general surgery and plastic surgery residency at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- Completed subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Harvard Medical School.
- Was mentored by Dr. Ron Zuker in the practice of facial paralysis reconstruction. This prestigious fellowship position was available to only one surgeon in the United States.
- Is affiliated with various charitable and educational organizations, including Operation Smile and Mending Kids.
- Is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the highly selective American Association of Plastic Surgeons, reserved for only a select group of individuals nationally who have demonstrated excellence in academic plastic surgery.
- Holds memberships in several other professional societies including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- He serves on the Board of Directors for Mending Kids and the Gondobay Manga Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives in Sierra Leone.
- Has been nominated by his peers annually since 2012 as a “Super Doctor.”
- Served as an expert medical consultant and appeared on The Doctors, Grey’s Anatomy, and Nip/Tuck.
- Has been featured as “Top Doctor” in US News and World Report, Pasadena Magazine, and Los Angeles Magazine.
Frequently Asked Questions about fillers
If you live near Pasadena, CA, Dr. Panossian offers facial fillers among its services, and is conveniently located at 39 Congress St., Suite 402 Pasadena, CA 91105
Last modified by Dr. Andre Panossian