What is Botox®?
Botox® is a drug created from a bacterial neurotoxin called botulinum toxin. In small doses, Botox® can cause paralysis in spastic or overactive facial muscles. It has gained popularity over the last 30 years in the cosmetic world for the treatment of wrinkles.
Facial wrinkling occurs for several reasons in addition to aging. Loss of skin elasticity and sun damage can hasten the formation of frown lines and wrinkles in addition to a person’s genetics. Smoking and other lifestyle choices can also speed up this process.
Wrinkles can be static or dynamic. Static wrinkles are those that are present even when the face is relaxed. Dynamic wrinkles are wrinkles that appear with various facial expressions, but go away when the face relaxes. Botox Cosmetic is highly effective in preventing wrinkles from setting in, but typically does not eliminate static or deep wrinkles. For static wrinkles, fillers are used. Botox® typically lasts an average of 3 months and will require repeat treatments when desired.
Aside from treating wrinkles, Dr. Panossian performs Botox® injections in cases of facial asymmetry. Specifically, individuals who suffer from facial paralysis or have recovered incompletely from facial paralysis (Bell’s palsy) will occasionally require intervention for asymmetric facial movement. In addition, some patients may develop unwanted facial twitching (synkinesis) while recovering from facial paralysis. This twitching can be relentless and possibly permanent. Botox injection, placed precisely into specific muscle groups, can balance the face and relieve involuntary twitching.
Dr. Panossian also performs Botox® injection into palms, feet, and armpits in people suffering from excessive sweating, or hyperhidrosis. This is a very effective treatment for sweating and, for many people, life changing.
There are alternatives to Botox. These include Dysport® and Xeomin®. Consult with Dr. Panossian regarding the best option for you.
What is Dr. Panossian’s technique for injection of Botox?
Injection of Botox® is more art than science. It should not be taken lightly. Dr. Panossian does not believe in handing off these procedures to other staff members to perform. He performs all injections with an eye for artistry and a deep knowledge of facial anatomy. This is as vital to the safety and comfort of his patients as well as for the final results.
Dr. Panossian is an advocate of the conservative approach to administering Botox®. While other physicians in the cosmetic world may elect to use large quantities, Dr. Panossian believes in injecting only as much as necessary for achieving the intended results. This not only limits complications but makes these treatments more affordable for patients. For Botox® injections, he administers a baseline amount of product and re-evaluates the effect in 2 weeks. If necessary, he will perform additional smaller quantity injections at the second visit. Dr. Panossian’s passion and extensive experience in this area stands out. Trust your face only to the best!
Why choose Dr Panossian
- He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Graduated at the top of his class at UCLA, receiving Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude honors.
- Was accepted into an elite combined general surgery and plastic surgery residency at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- Completed subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Harvard Medical School.
- Was mentored by Dr. Ron Zuker in the practice of facial paralysis reconstruction. This prestigious fellowship position was available to only one surgeon in the United States.
- Is affiliated with various charitable and educational organizations, including Operation Smile and Mending Kids.
- Is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the highly selective American Association of Plastic Surgeons, reserved for only a select group of individuals nationally who have demonstrated excellence in academic plastic surgery.
- Holds memberships in several other professional societies including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- He serves on the Board of Directors for Mending Kids and the Gondobay Manga Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives in Sierra Leone.
- Has been nominated by his peers annually since 2012 as a “Super Doctor.”
- Served as an expert medical consultant and appeared on The Doctors, Grey’s Anatomy, and Nip/Tuck.
- Has been featured as “Top Doctor” in US News and World Report, Pasadena Magazine, and Los Angeles Magazine.
Frequently Asked Questions About Botox®
If you live near Pasadena, CA, Dr. Panossian offers Botox® among its services, and is conveniently located at 39 Congress St., Suite 402 Pasadena, CA 91105
Last modified by Dr. Andre Panossian