What is a Lip Lift?
Lip lift involves raising the upper lip towards the nose. This is done when aging causes the philtrum to elongate, allowing the vermillion of the upper lip to retract over the teeth. This gives the appearance of thin upper lips that many people find unattractive. Using various incision styles the upper lip can be lifted in various locations to decrease the distance from the red of your lip to the bottom of the nose.
Lip reshaping is a surgical technique used to lift the lips and bring them into better proportion. Over time, aging of the mouth area results in elongation of the lip, change in skin texture, drooping of the corners, and loss of volume. Although fillers may address the volume issue, the shape of the lip is changed.
Lip reshaping utilizes various finesse techniques to restore the youthful anatomy of the lips. Skin texture or fine wrinkling is addressed with laser resurfacing or dermabrasion. The corners of the mouth are lifted with a small procedure. Or, the entire upper lip may need to be lifted from the base of the nose. There are other procedures in addition to the ones above that can give you an augmented lip that is more youthful and in better proportion.
Precisely which set of procedures for lip reshaping will benefit you most is determined during a thorough consultation with Dr. Panossian. He will take into consideration various factors and analyze your lip and mouth area to achieve the best possible long-lasting result.
Although some of this work can be accomplished with fillers, Dr. Panossian prefers a more long-lasting approach for those requesting a more dramatic change and for those who will likely not see optimal results with fillers.
Lip reduction refers to removing volume from the lips. It is usually done in the setting of previous aggressive plastic surgery and with the injection of certain permanent fillers, such as silicone. This is usually done through a side-to-side incision in the mucous lining of the upper and/or lower lips under a local anesthetic. It is done usually in the office setting and you can go home the same day. Depending upon the amount of excess tissue, the procedure can take 1-2 hours to perform. Dr. Panossian will remain available to answer any questions or concerns you may have during your recovery period.
Why choose Dr Panossian
- He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Graduated at the top of his class at UCLA, receiving Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude honors.
- Was accepted into an elite combined general surgery and plastic surgery residency at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- Completed subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Harvard Medical School.
- Was mentored by Dr. Ron Zuker in the practice of facial paralysis reconstruction. This prestigious fellowship position was available to only one surgeon in the United States.
- Is affiliated with various charitable and educational organizations, including Operation Smile and Mending Kids.
- Is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the highly selective American Association of Plastic Surgeons, reserved for only a select group of individuals nationally who have demonstrated excellence in academic plastic surgery.
- Holds memberships in several other professional societies including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- He serves on the Board of Directors for Mending Kids and the Gondobay Manga Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives in Sierra Leone.
- Has been nominated by his peers annually since 2012 as a “Super Doctor.”
- Served as an expert medical consultant and appeared on The Doctors, Grey’s Anatomy, and Nip/Tuck.
- Has been featured as “Top Doctor” in US News and World Report, Pasadena Magazine, and Los Angeles Magazine.
Frequently Asked Questions About Lip Lift, Reduction & Reshaping
If you live near Pasadena, CA, Dr. Panossian offers lip lift, reduction & reshaping among its services, and is conveniently located at 39 Congress St., Suite 402 Pasadena, CA 91105
Last modified by Dr. Andre Panossian