What is a facelift?
Facelift Pasadena procedure is designed to restore the youthfulness of the face. The effects of aging and gravity happen to everyone. By tightening skin and the underlying muscle layers, a facelift can take years off an aging face. It typically addresses the area beneath the lower eyelids down to the jawline. That’s it!
The real difficulty comes from how to achieve these results and improve the contours of the face. This can vary extensively from surgeon to surgeon and with experience. It is important to discuss the goals of a facelift surgery ahead of time and understand the limitations and expectations.
Dr. Panossian will frequently combine a facelift with other procedures including a brow lift, neck lift, fat transfer, eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty), chin implantation, or laser resurfacing and dermal fillers. How to combine and execute these procedures is different for every patient. Dr. Panossian is also a facial plastic surgeon with years of complex craniofacial surgical experience.
How is a facelift performed?
There are several variations of a facelift. These can include a regular facelift, short-scar technique, and mini facelift. The goal of each of these options is similar in the pursuit of a more youthful appearing face. However, the degree to which each of these options can remedy facial aging can be quite different. Generally, the more severe the signs of aging, the longer the scar will be and the closer it will approximate a traditional facelift. A well-done facelift can take 10 or more years off of an aging face, and the results are usually permanent. Your consultation with Dr. Panossian will highlight the differences between the various styles of facelift procedures and provide the best option for you. Depending on the option that best suits you and how many additional procedures you choose, the surgery takes between 3 and 6 hours.
How is the recovery?
There is little in the way of bandages following a face lifting procedure by Dr. Panossian. He will prescribe you prescriptions for antibiotics and pain medication as needed. A small thin drain tube may sometimes be used along the incision behind the ear to remove excess fluid that might accumulate under the skin. This tube is typically removed the day after surgery, and the dressings are changed as well.
Recovery may sometimes take longer when combined with additional procedures such as those mentioned above. There is an option for overnight monitoring either at home with a traveling nurse or in a post-surgical facility. This is an option if you are undergoing more extensive procedures simultaneously. Swelling typically improves over 1 to 2 weeks. Bruising is not always present, but it will also improve during the same time period. For the first 4-6 weeks, the only activities you can do are light walks and stationary activities. Heavy lifting, contact sports, aerobics, and sex should be avoided during this time. Most patients choose to take 7-14 days off work. During this time, makeup can help to mask any bruising.
Frequently Asked Questions About Facelift
If you live near Pasadena, CA, Dr. Panossian offers facelift among its services, and is conveniently located at 39 Congress St., Suite 402 Pasadena, CA 91105
What are the risks and complications?
Facelift complications are relatively rare when performed by a qualified and experienced board certified plastic surgeon. However, individuals may vary substantially in terms of health status and genetic predisposition, potentially making them more susceptible to unfavorable results.
These complications can include hematoma (blood collection under the skin), injury to the facial nerve, infection, and adverse reaction to anesthesia. Smokers and individuals with uncontrolled diabetes sometimes demonstrate issues with poor wound healing.
To minimize your risk, pay close attention to Dr. Panossian’s instructions before and after surgery. Dr. Panossian’s staff is available at all times to clarify any pre-op or post-operative instructions. Please refer to the Pre- and Postoperative General Instructions for further details.
Patient Example: This woman underwent total facial rejuvenation that included a facelift, neck lift, upper and lower eyelid lift, and brow lift. The result is a proportionately youthful appearance. The facial thirds are addressed comprehensively with an excellent, balanced long-term result. Move the slider to see the Before & After.
Why choose Dr Panossian
- He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Graduated at the top of his class at UCLA, receiving Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude honors.
- Was accepted into an elite combined general surgery and plastic surgery residency at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- Completed subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Harvard Medical School.
- Was mentored by Dr. Ron Zuker in the practice of facial paralysis reconstruction. This prestigious fellowship position was available to only one surgeon in the United States.
- Is affiliated with various charitable and educational organizations, including Operation Smile and Mending Kids.
- Is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the highly selective American Association of Plastic Surgeons, reserved for only a select group of individuals nationally who have demonstrated excellence in academic plastic surgery.
- Holds memberships in several other professional societies including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- He serves on the Board of Directors for Mending Kids and the Gondobay Manga Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives in Sierra Leone.
- Has been nominated by his peers annually since 2012 as a “Super Doctor.”
- Served as an expert medical consultant and appeared on The Doctors, Grey’s Anatomy, and Nip/Tuck.
- Has been featured as “Top Doctor” in US News and World Report, Pasadena Magazine, and Los Angeles Magazine.
Call us at 626-765-6885 to make an appointment orclick here to schedule online