What is a Brazilian butt lift (aka BBL or buttock augmentation)?
In short, a Brazilian butt lift (BBL) takes unwanted fat from other parts of the body and injects it into the buttock tissues to create a more rounded contour and a more pleasing body shape. During your consultation, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Panossian will perform a thorough evaluation and take note of your hip-to-waist ratio. This is the difference in circumference between your waist and your hips.
- What is a Brazilian butt lift (aka BBL or buttock augmentation)?
- Ideal Candidates for BBL Surgery
- Benefits of Brazilian Butt Augmentation Surgery
- Preparation for BBL Surgery
- The BBL Procedure
- Complications of BBL
- What are the long-term results of BBL?
- What is the recovery from BBL Procedure like?
- Frequently Asked Questions About BBL
Ideal Candidates for BBL Surgery
Ideal candidates for this type of buttock augmentation are those with enough fat in other areas of their body to harvest and transfer to the buttocks. This cosmetic procedure is an outpatient, minimally-invasive procedure that involves harvesting fat from other areas of the body and injecting it into the buttocks.
Candidates for this popular procedure are those who are looking to improve their aesthetic appearance and enhance the shape of their buttocks. The recovery process is relatively short, with most patients returning to normal activities within a few days. Patients should be in good health and have realistic expectations about the outcome of their BBL surgery.
Benefits of Brazilian Butt Augmentation Surgery
- Enhances the shape and contour of the buttocks
- Creates a more aesthetically pleasing and curvier body shape
- Improves hip-to-waist ratio
- It is a minimally invasive procedure with a short recovery time
- Outpatient procedure with minimal scarring
- Natural-looking results that are long-lasting
- Can be tailored to the individual patient’s needs and cosmetic goals
- Can be combined with other procedures for a more comprehensive transformation
Preparation for BBL Surgery
Prior to undergoing a Brazilian butt lift, it is important for patients to prepare for the procedure. This includes getting medical clearance from their primary care physician and having realistic expectations about the outcome of the surgery. Patients should also stop smoking at least two weeks before their procedure and avoid taking any medications that can increase bleeding risk. Additionally, patients should arrange for someone to drive them home after the surgery and stay with them for at least 24 hours afterward. Lastly, patients should follow all pre-operative instructions given by Dr. Panossian in order to ensure a safe and successful outcome.
The BBL Procedure
After Dr. Panossian determines that you are a good candidate for a BBL, then, under general anesthesia, unwanted excess fat from other areas of your body is first harvested using liposuction procedures from the abdomen, flanks, thighs, and/or back area. The body fat is then purified and injected into the buttocks (fat transfer procedure) to produce a more rounded buttock contour and overall better size and shape.
An ideal hip-to-waist ratio is approximately 0.69 to 0.71. This is easily achievable in most patients with the BBL technique.
Complications of BBL
The Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) is a cosmetic procedure that involves harvesting fat from other areas of the body and injecting it into the buttocks. While this butt enhancement procedure can effectively achieve desired results, there are potential risks associated with it. Allergic reactions to the fat injections, risk of complications due to improper technique, risk of infection, and fat embolism are all possible complications that may arise.
Post-operative swelling and bruising may also occur and should be monitored closely. To reduce the risk of infection, antibiotic medications may be prescribed prior to surgery. It is important for patients to discuss any potential risks with their doctor before undergoing a BBL procedure.
What are the long-term results of BBL?
A certain percentage of the injected fat will resorb (approximately 25-40%). For this reason, the injection is overestimated at the time of surgery so that the fat left in the butt augmentation will stay permanently at the desired size. Usually, the natural fat cells that remain in good health after 6 months will stay permanently. The great benefit of the Brazilian butt lift procedure is that it narrows the waist to give an overall improvement of body contour. This gives individuals a striking improvement and a boost in confidence when wearing bikinis or other clothing.
What is the recovery from BBL Procedure like?
The BBL recovery period is generally quick and easy. The surgery is a same-day procedure. Yond you can go home with a special compression garment designed to maintain the contour of the augmented buttock tissues. You might experience some swelling and bruising, but it should go away in a few weeks.
During the healing process, patients should avoid strenuous activity for at least two weeks after the procedure to ensure proper healing. It is important to follow all post-operative instructions given by your doctor in order to reduce the risk of infection or other complications. Additionally, wearing compression garments can help reduce swelling and improve results. With proper care, patients can expect long-lasting results from their BBL surgery.
The garment is worn for the next 6 weeks, only to be removed for washing and showering. Patients can return to work approximately 2 weeks after surgery.
Why choose Dr Panossian
- He received his medical education at Tufts University School of Medicine.
- Graduated at the top of his class at UCLA, receiving Phi Beta Kappa and Summa Cum Laude honors.
- Was accepted into an elite combined general surgery and plastic surgery residency at the Keck School of Medicine of USC.
- Completed subspecialty training in craniofacial surgery at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto and Harvard Medical School.
- Was mentored by Dr. Ron Zuker in the practice of facial paralysis reconstruction. This prestigious fellowship position was available to only one surgeon in the United States.
- Is affiliated with various charitable and educational organizations, including Operation Smile and Mending Kids.
- Is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the highly selective American Association of Plastic Surgeons, reserved for only a select group of individuals nationally who have demonstrated excellence in academic plastic surgery.
- Holds memberships in several other professional societies including the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery.
- He serves on the Board of Directors for Mending Kids and the Gondobay Manga Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to the improvement of lives in Sierra Leone.
- Has been nominated by his peers annually since 2012 as a “Super Doctor.”
- Served as an expert medical consultant and appeared on The Doctors, Grey’s Anatomy, and Nip/Tuck.
- Has been featured as “Top Doctor” in US News and World Report, Pasadena Magazine, and Los Angeles Magazine.
Frequently Asked Questions About BBL
During your consultation, your doctor will discuss your aesthetic goals and expectations for the procedure. They will also perform a physical examination to assess your body type and determine if you are a good candidate for BBL. Your doctor may also take photos of your buttocks in order to better visualize the results.
Yes, when performed by an experienced and qualified BBL surgeon, this surgery can be a safe and effective way to improve your figure. As with any surgical procedure, there are risks involved, so it’s important to discuss these with your doctor before deciding if this is right for you.
The length of time required for a BBL will vary depending on how much fat needs to be harvested and transferred. Generally speaking, most procedures take between two and four hours to complete.
Results from BBL vary depending on each individual’s body type and desired outcome. Generally speaking, patients can expect an increase in buttock size and shape, as well as improved contour. Results are typically long-lasting but may require touch-ups over time.
The cost of a BBL in Pasadena will vary depending on the complexity of the procedure and the cosmetic surgeon performing it. Generally speaking, most procedures range from $5,000 to $10,000. It’s important to discuss pricing with your doctor before deciding if this is right for you.
If you live near Pasadena, CA, Dr. Panossian offers the Brazilian butt lift procedure among its services, and is conveniently located at 39 Congress St., Suite 402 Pasadena, CA 91105
Last modified by Dr. Andre Panossian